Originally written 4/18/2007:
- $ = The difference in price between the direct and indirect flights (of course)
- L = Length of the layover (A forty-five minute layover is more tolerable than a 3 hour one.)
- t = Overall length of the trip in hours (The difference between a 10 and a 14 hour trip is not as great as the difference between a 2 and a 6 hour one.)
- c = Convenience of departing and arriving times (It’s not fun to arrive at JFK at 10:00 PM the night before I have to work.)
- V = Length of the vacation or time off
- S = my salary in approximate dollars per hour
I spent a little time trying to devise a general formula, but it got tedious. All told, I was on the verge of paying $60 extra for a direct 3 1/2 hour flight rather than buy the $230 flight that took 7 hours. A little nudge from a fellow resident who only flies direct if she can help it was all it took.